Thailand Travel Information and Travel Guide Thailand

           

 

 

 

           

 

 

 

Thailand Ayutthaya

 

 

Thailand Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya is the capital of the Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province from Thailand.

Ayutthaya was the capital of the Thai tribes’ state for 400 years.

 

The Ayutthaya city is situated at 85 kilometres to Bangkok’s North.

 

Although is in ruins Ayutthaya is unanimously considered one of the most remarkable and biggest old cities from Asia.

 

In 1350, the U Thong Prince put the basics of the kingdom’s future capital, which included almost the entire territory of the contemporary Thailand and a big part of the today Cambodia.

 

Ayutthaya remained for 400 years the residence of the 33 descendants, becoming a prosperous commercial and cultural centre. There were already 1million people in Ayutthaya in 1605 and the city was dominated by 2.000 defence towers, united between them. Ayutthaya is undoubtedly among the most influential centres of the Orient.

 

The Burmese tried in vain to conquer the city; after centuries, they did it, in 1767. The Burmese didn’t have mercy with any of the temples, destroying the royal palace and decapitating the thousands of statues representing Buddha, guided by the faith - generalised at that time - that his spirit was living in sculptures. Running from slavery and death, the population left the capital. Although the Burmese were defeated in short time, it was clear that the city can not be saved. Ayutthaya remained a big complex of temples ruins and old palaces. The Pridi-Damrong Bridge opens the way to the historical part of the city.

 

From the old defence walls remained only the fragments situated close to the Phom Phet fort. The Wan Suwan Dararam Temple was built around 1700, then extended and adorned during the Chakri dynasty. The ordinations room called bot is very impressive, imagined as a ship that brings the Buddhists to salvation. This temple is the only one dwelled by monks. In the Chao Sam Phraya Museum, the old gone glory era is evoked by the numerous exhibits representing the Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Sukhothai, U Thong and Dvaravati styles. In this museum you can admire stone and bronze sculptures, terracotta statues, golden jewellery with precious stones, ceramics objects and objects worked with the chisel.

 

The museum’s construction, open in 1961 was financed by selling 100.000 votive tablets found in the Wat Ratchaburanan Temple’s prang (the edifice where the relics are kept). Its crypts are adorned with mural paintings of some Chinese painters, combining the qualities of the Burmese and Khmer styles. The most beautiful and famous temple from Ayutthaya is Wat Phra Si San Phet. It has three big stupas (chedi) and many other small one, being respectfully called, the Royal Temple. In the middle of the religious complex was, in the past, a Buddha statue, tall of 16 metres and plating. The Rama I King, who became king in 1782,

Thailand Ayutthaya 

 

transported the rests of this work of art, destroyed by Burmese at Bangkok. Inside the Royal palaces’ complex the statue’s pedestal is the only remained. The Wang Luang Palace was built from the U Thong King’s order, in 1350.

 
 

  

Copyrights for all pictures on this site, it is and remains the property of www.thailand-th.net

   2006 - 2011 www.thailand-th.net